Sunday, September 20, 2009

Off The Bandwagon



When I was informed by a good friend that there was a new Vampire book that teenagers were going 'gaga' about, I thought to myself that I'll pass this off since I obviously believed that I have graduated from those types of books (Note to self: YOU never graduate from anything, you just lose interest in it for the time being --- like clothes). But when they created a movie which I watched with hundreds of high school students (a very bad decision since having to endure almost two hours of torture with high school kids can hardly be categorized as a pleasant experience) I decided to give the book a whack. I wanted to git rid of the disappointment I felt after watching the movie. (Bella Swan should have not been played by Kristen Stewart, the actors who played Rosalie and Victoria should have swapped, the faces were too white and if the director really wanted them to appear that white, shouln't the make-up be evenly distributed??? etc) I thought to myself then --- "I am quite sure that it was not written that way" and of course, there is that constant critique that movies don't often give the book justice. So the next weekend after that, I decided to buy the book. I decided not to buy all 4 Vampire books of the authour to avoid future disappointments since there was still that huge possibility that I may not like the book.

True that I bought the next book after reading the first but not because I loved the way Stephanie Meyer wrote it but because of the concept she introduced (which was rumored that she stole from someone else...I wonder how true this rumor was). And how can you possibly not read the next books when she applied the marketing plot that is being used by commercialized authors --- giving a 'hanging' excerpt of what will happen on the next books. Reading the Vampire series of Stephanie Meyer was like watching an awful 'telenovela', you watch it not because the script was beautifully written nor was the acting good but simply because you want to know what will happen next. Period.

Did I get my money's worth after buying all 4 books? Probably a portion of it. I think that her work was over-rated and hardly deserved the price that bookstores are unfairly tagging them with. A little lower would have been more appropriate.

No offense to the fans but this is my blog and I am entitled to my own opinion.

2 comments:

  1. What?!?!? You bought all four books! Buang! NAg ingon unta kay kay naa koi e-books. Kasayang sa kwarta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes i did...yes na lang...i dont have the patience to read ebooks anyway...way lami!

    ReplyDelete