Wednesday, January 5, 2011

She

A friend wrote this for me when I was in Bahrain. It was dated September 28, 2004. I am posting it so I will remember who I was.

Gypsy Queen by Julie Aragon

You are to me, a qypsy queen
wandering from one place to another
to build an empire where you can rule
with your enchanting grace
and hold together your people under
the spell of your tongue
or to curse
like a self-possessed shaman's
repeating mantra to appease the bearer of souls,
you are lovingly cruel, gypsy queen,
see you held them with your prancing tongue
and your words breathe into them
to constitute their very existence
but you do not intend to stay
nor leave a trace
for your people to follow
even your footprints melted in the sun
or tossed by the wind
as if to cover up your trail
you do not own any possession
only a gnawing desire to possess
and be possessed by the world
which is your life
and bane at the same time.
Where, O gypsy queen, will you stop
to redeem your shoes?
You have traveled far enough
and for the sand and the air
you are just one gypsy queen
longing for nature to fetch you
from your wayfaring.

No comments:

Post a Comment