Wednesday, December 23, 2009

'I Do' Finally

When Patty called me a few months back to announce that she was getting married, I was surprised despite of knowing that she and Mac have been together for more than 10 years now. Anyway, my reaction was not important. The more important thing was to be there for her so when she asked me if I wanted to be a bride's maid, I thought to myself 'Why not?'

So, a week after that, I booked a flight in advance back to Davao City. The moment I stepped off the plane, it was a whirlwind and I barely had time to catch my breath. And since I arrived the day before the wedding and never got the chance to check my dress, I went directly to Knots Forever for a fitting. After wasting almost an hour of checking the gowns as the seamstress was not sure which design was mine, Patty finally arrived to straighten things out. The seamstress was supposed to adjust the strap but I bet that old hag was too lazy to make the necessary adjustments as the strap was still to short. In fact, it snapped a few minutes before the ceremony started. Thank God for wedding coordinators! Vanessa and her team cam prepared.

After the fitting, I had a series of items to check off of my list (both wedding and non-wedding related) so you can just imagine how stressed I was and yes, I was all over the place. The end part was, I stayed with Patty on her last night of being 'Single' and assisted her in polishing last minute preparations.

The wedding (like all weddings) did not start on time and the church administrators were (for the lack of a better term) already pissed off. Oh, it was not the bride who was late nor the groom but the other 'divas' in the family. The groom's sister was still on her way to the hotel coming from God knows where, the groom's mother came in late as well and there was that bratty niece of the bride who I just wanted to strangle to death. I swear if it were not for Patty, I would have given that little monster a piece of my mind. Again, it was a good thing that the priest was a close friend of the family and he allowed himself to be swayed ( a privilege that he does not share with other couples). When it finally started, the groom was already teary-eyed. The moment that Patty walked in with her father and aunt, Mac was already crying. When they were professing their love and relaying their vows, he was crying. During the reception, you guessed it right, he was crying. Oh there were other instances but no need to mention them here. Let's just say, he was quite emotional and we perceived it as a good sign.


I was not really listening to the mass and was absentmindedly standing up and sitting down as instructed. My attention was elsewhere. To where? 1. To the cute little flower girls who untiringly carried on with their games and petty quarrels while the priest was desperately trying to stay focused and 2. To the Dragon Lady who was seated right in front of us who was having a blast making Ceara miserable and giving instructions here and there just for the sake of it. I am not impressed with her by the way, what a B!+cH! Even had the nerve to say that the maid of honor and brides maids were useless! Put a sock in it lady!

An hour after, the papers were signed and the priest (after being reminded first) reluctantly said 'You May Now Kiss The Bride!'

No comments:

Post a Comment