Sunday, May 9, 2010

Z for Zombie

When the book "World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War" was suggested, I thought of saying "Nah...I'll pass" (since I hated zombies!) but decided otherwise after Arvy gave me snippets of the book.

Good decision.

It was an interesting read indeed. The writer, Max Brooks, did an excellent job on intrinsically describing every detail that it was almost likened to an actual movie experience! The best thing was --- it was not only about blood, guts and rotting corpses (because the plot actually made sense). It was a socio-political satire which was horrific not just entirely because of the zombies, but also because of the narrated responses of the community to the supposed 'Great Panic.' The responses were just too plausible; knowing that it was close to reality made me put the book down once in a while because I felt like kicking someone.

However, I felt the book lacked more narratives about animals and their positive contributions. I can only remember two stories, one --- about the dogs as partners in luring the zombies (heroic but sad) and two --- about the whales as food for stranded survivors and zombies at sea (practical but sick).

Anyway, you guys should read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment