Thursday, September 24, 2009

Farewell Salome

Maybe it's time to say goodbye. To old things that you have outgrown, the same ones that would eventually turn up better if they were in someone else's care. To all those junk you have kept in the fridge, to devour later, only to realize that you did not want them after all. To irritating habits that only slow you down later on. To books that only gather dust in shelves due to neglect. To childish dreams that were never meant to be.

Maybe it's time to grow up. To straighten priorities and label boxes with categories like how you label envelopes to manage finances. To stop narrowing your eyes towards something that you can't touch and focus on what is right in front of you. To accept defeats with a graceful exit rather than succumb to a grief of a two-year old child. To walk or run but not fly or else you will hurt yourself. To swim towards the boat and take risks only when they are practical.

Maybe I was not Salome after all. That my gifts were nothing compared to what the others can offer. Maybe I was born with small feet but with dependable legs, not to claim the stage while dancing, but to carry my family's burden and walk the miles towards safety. Maybe my hands were meant not to paint or sketch as what I supposed them to be doing, but to be crumpled into fists for wars worth a centavo per punch. Maybe I was not gifted with a square jaw and determined chin for beauty, but for the lifetime of blows that God will give me.

Maybe.Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment